SAME Blue Ridge Post Scholarship 2018
The Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) is a professional Society, one of the oldest and most respected in the United States. SAME maintains the highest standards of professionalism, fosters exchange of ideas, and encourages teamwork between military and civilian engineers and architects. This union of military and civilian design professionals has increased the design potential of the United States and helps our Nation “stay ready.” As its Charter acclaims, The Society is “Dedicated to the National Defense.” The Blue Ridge Post of SAME is made up of approximately 500 individual members and 150 corporate members.
The Blue Ridge Post is excited to announce this year we are again offering multiple scholarships to graduating seniors meeting specific requirements (listed below). Our goal is to encourage seniors to enter full-time undergraduate engineering or architecture-related studies and for interested high schools students to become familiar with SAME.
The scholarships will be awarded ranging in monetary value from $1,500 to $5,000. Applications will be completed through the online application. Thank you for supporting SAME. Please distribute this letter and scholarship requirements to interested seniors.
There is no requirement for either the student or parent to be a member of a SAME Post or for the applicant to obtain sponsorship from a member of a SAME Post. However, preference may be given in the event of a tie to a student whose parents or guardians are members of SAME, or the student is sponsored. Applications must be received by 1 April 2018 The Blue Ridge Post will notify each school of the scholarship recipients no later than 25 April 2018 to allow sufficient time for processing and presentation at your school’s awards recognition ceremony. The Post would be pleased to be included in your school’s ceremony and, if invited to join, will have a representative in attendance to present the award.
The Blue Ridge Post prides itself on being able to fund multiple scholarships for the upcoming school year. We look forward to receiving the responses from your high school seniors. If you or your students have any questions regarding the scholarship process please contact Kristine Brannon, Scholarship Chairman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible:
* A US Citizen.
* Enrolled or have applied and are awaiting acceptance in either a two-year, full-time associate engineering, architecture, or other STEM related studies program at a community college or preparatory school or four-year, full-time undergraduate engineering or architecture-related studies degree program at an ABET/NAAB (Accreditation Board for Engineering & Technology/ National Architectural Accreditation Board) accredited college or university in the fall term of 2018.
* Of good character.
* Plan to continue their education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) or Architecture discipline.
1. Online application must be submitted by April 1, 2018.
2. The applicant’s school counselor, academic advisor, or administrator must endorse each application to verify enrollment.
3. Financial awards are remitted directly to student accounts on or about August 1. Formal recognition takes place at the “2018 Scholarship Awards Luncheon” in Winchester.
4. Multiple scholarship awards ranging in value of $1,500 to $5,000 will be granted in 2018.
5. Decisions relating to Award are by the Post only and are final.
6. Applicants who receive an appointment to one of the U.S. Military Academies (or affiliated preparatory schools), or are awarded a full scholarship at any ABET/NAAB accredited U.S. post-secondary institution of higher education, are not eligible to receive this scholarship. A full scholarship is defined as one that provides for payment of tuition, books, lab fees, and other related expenses. Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) scholarships are considered full scholarships.
7. The applicant is required to provide a letter of recommendation from an SAME Sponsor, teacher, guidance counselor, coach or civic organization leader.
8. Applications will be accepted online. Mailed applications will only be accepted if the applicant does not have feasible access to the Internet.
Date of Birth
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Indian Ocean Territory
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Republic of the Congo
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Virgin Islands, British
Virgin Islands, U.S.
High School GPA
Area(s) of Academic Interest
What are your future goals and expectations in engineering or architecture?
What engineering or architecture discipline are you planning to study? What traits make you a good candidate for this scholarship?
Why are you applying for this scholarship? From a financial standpoint, what impact would this scholarship have on your education?
Describe your role in any clubs, charities, organizations, teams, etc. that you are involved in within your school or community.
As an engineer or architect, what would you do to improve your community in relation to the field you intend to study?
Letter of Recommendation
Do Not Fill This Out